Friday, February 09, 2007

Problem: iPod is not detected by iTunes on Windows

For a long time now I have been having this occassional problem that when I plug-in my iPod to my Windows 2K3 machine, iTunes does not detect it. When I check up the preferences on the iTunes, the iPod tab shows up a message indicating that no iPod is connected. I was puzzled as it did not always happen. I occured once a while, but when it occurred, there was just no way of getting iTunes to detect the iPod.

Just a while ago I think I found what the issue was. I have a laptop and a desktop in my office. On my laptop, iTunes always detected the iPod whereas, on the desktop machine, iTunes sometimes did not detect it. The problem was that I always used Remote Desktop Connection to work on my desktop computer (actually, I like my notebooks LCD screen a lot better than the desktops CRT monitor). Note that I always worked on the cosole session of the desktop, not a separate session.

I noticed that when I connect the iPod to the desktop machine, iTunes does not detect the iPod whenever I am logged into the Remote Desktop Console Session. However, if I quit the Remote Desktop session and work directly on the desktop, there was no problem. I guess this might be because the system still treats the console sessoin on the Remote Desktop window as a session that is different (in some ways) from the session that would run directly on the desktop's monitor.

Whatever the background, I guess this knowledge will help me overcome a nagging problem that I have had for quite sometime now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home